Saturday, November 9, 2013

Honey, I ain't got time to wait on you or fetch your super ball, I've got lots of things I've got to do...


Success!!!!  Life is AWESOME.  Tonight was my first night on the phone, and I didn't do too badly.  I was comfortable talking to customers and felt good about my job, the only areas I could use improvement in are mastery of the system and becoming more familiar with all the things we offer.  Despite that, I still did pretty well and I'm looking forward to going back on Monday.

Brian is paid off, my electric bill is paid, my car insurance is paid, the sweat lodge retreat is paid, and I have enough left to do laundry, buy groceries, and put gas in my car.  I feel totally awesome.  To top it all off, I get to see the kids tomorrow and I miss them so much.  I'm glad I hung in there -- there were a few times I felt like just giving up, but I have to believe in myself.  I can do whatever I think I can do!

I realized something about myself today that I found interesting.  I wonder if I am alone in this, or if everyone shares this odd trait.  Here's the thing -- for anything I do, I have at least three reasons.  I never really know which one is the REAL reason, or if they all play a part in my overall decision, or if I actually have one real reason but I justify my decision but convincing myself it was for another, more acceptable reason.  Does that make sense?  Of course not.  I shall illustrate.

We were all sitting out on the floor where we were getting ready to take calls.  Brian, our trainer, needed to sit in one of the 3 seats that Mike, Kate, and myself were sitting in.  Immediately, I volunteered.  I guess I didn't really register what my reason was, but I felt a bit self-conscious when he pointed out how quickly I had volunteered and teased me about not wanting to sit next to Mike and Kate.  I sat next to Brenda and told her I just didn't want to sit next to Mike because I felt like I would be tempted to ask too many questions.  Then I told Lori that I hadn't wanted to sit next to Brian (which is true, having a trainer sit next to you while you're taking your first few calls is very nerve-wracking).  Then I told Kate that I had done it because I knew that logging off one computer and logging back into another would buy me some time before I had to take my first call.

I didn't lie to anyone, those things were all true.  But I caught myself wondering what my real reason actually was.  I realized I didn't even know!  I notice that I do that a lot.  Like with Holly.  I told Shy that I didn't want to date her because she was married and if her husband made her choose, she'd always (understandably) choose him and I'd be left in the cold.  True.  I told her that I just needed to focus on my kids right now and I'm so one-track-minded  that being in a relationship had diverted too much of my attention.  Also true.  I told Emmanuel that I just hadn't connected with her in the way that I wanted to connect with someone.  True again.  So which is it?  What was the real reason?  I don't think I even know.

The last example is with Emmanuel.  First, I saw that he was in a relationship -- but let's be honest.  You're my blog, and I confide in you no matter what I tell other people.  That wasn't a deal breaker -- I was hoping he'd explain it to my satisfaction and everything would be fine.  Then I told Jason that I didn't think it would work out because he doesn't have a car or his own place.  Yeahhhhh, those are issues...but I really hadn't even written him off completely for that.  I made the decision after the third time he didn't answer my call.  But I quickly decided that I was doing it because he wasn't being real with his girlfriend and it made me worry about what kind of person he really is.  In this case, I think the real reason is rejection, but the rest of the reasons are valid as well.

Maybe the truth is that I just make decisions based on intuition without ever really knowing exactly why.  Then later, observing the situation as if from the outside, I just make best guesses as to what my reason must have been.  I don't think I ever know.  It's weird, isn't it?  In any case, I'm glad I'm following my intuition more these days.  It hasn't let me down yet.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment