Tuesday, December 10, 2013

People are strange, when you're a stranger, faces look ugly, when you're alone...

Today we have Chalcopyrite.  Oooooooh, isn't it lovely?  I wasn't going to blog tonight.  At the end of my shift, I'm always brimming with ideas.  I contemplate my blog post during the whole drive home.  Then, when I walk in the door, inevitably my motivation and energy is instantly sucked from me and I no longer feel creative.  I get in sleep mode.  I haven't updated all weekend, though, so here it is.

First I'll talk about my blessings, because it's always better  to focus on those than our shortcomings.  Overall, it was a great weekend.  I took the kids to the pottery place to paint giant coffee mugs and then took them to McDonald's for lunch.  (I knowwwwww, but it's a rare treat and I wanted to spoil them).  Oh, and Santa was at the mall so the kids got to chat with him for a minute and get pictures.  It was really cute, Juju was telling him about this boy who's been giving her trouble and Santa told her he was getting a lump of coal.  ;)  Anywho, I picked up groceries and then we came home to set up the tree.  I played holiday music, made hot cocoa, and enjoyed my family.  It was nice.

I did learn something, though.  As much as I love to wake up as early as I can on Saturday morning so I can spend as much time as possible with my kids, getting enough sleep is vitally important to maintaining healthy relationships with  them.  I have looked back at all  the times I grew impatient, or was overly critical, or overreacted and I notice that those things have always occurred on those Saturdays after little sleep the night before.  The last two times, I figured out how to keep my grouchy side at bay by taking a short nap after picking them up.  This time, though, I was so excited to go paint pottery that I skipped it, and I regret it so much.

I know it's important to forgive ourselves and have compassion toward ourselves, and I know my kids have forgiven me, but I can't stop beating myself up over my grouchiness on Saturday.  It reminds me of all the times my mom used to tell me I ruined every family outing we had, and it was true.  I would vow to be good, only to find myself once again standing amidst a pile of rubble I had created and wishing I could put it all back together.  Maybe that doesn't make sense to anyone but me, but I really felt that I had tamed "The Seether".  That's what I call the other side of my personality, that bitchy, angry side.  That pit bull that needs to be kept on a leash, or if she gets free, rips anything in her path to shreds.

Okay, so I wasn't THAT bad this weekend.  But I know I hurt Jewel's feelings, and she's so sweet and sensitive that I just hate myself for it.  She was painting her coffee mug and it looked nice -- green on the outside, red on the inside.  They are gifts, and I know my family will love  them no matter what they look like because the kids made them.  I knew it didn't matter.  I knew no one would be judging them.  But when Jewel started to slather red paint all over the top of the green paint on the outside, I asked her why she did that with a disapproving look on my face.  

A father of a young boy looked over at me, and I felt conspicuous.  I knew I needed to shut up, but I just couldn't.  I didn't have the strength in me to make it better -- every time I opened my mouth, I compounded the problem.  I told her, "No, it's your mug.  Do what you want.  I just don't understand why you'd do that."  She started to look upset, so I tried again.  "It's not a big deal.  It just looked so nice already."  Then she was crying.  All I could do was just shut up and try to gather myself again.  What the HELL?  What would make me be such a jerk to someone I love so dearly?  Why couldn't I release my need to be in control?  Why was I personally attaching myself to her project instead of giving her the freedom to express herself in whatever way she chose, giving her the approval and security in knowing that I love and accept her no matter what?  

I give this advice to people all the time, and I have prided myself on being a gentle and compassionate mother since healing a great deal of my own inner pain and embarking on this journey of emotional restoration.  I know I'm good enough, and I want my kids to feel that way too.  I apologized at least ten times, but my apologies could not heal the wound inside from feeling as if I had failed my daughter.  I admonished myself for my lack of control.  I still do.  I know that all I can do is take the lesson from this and move forward, but I need to figure out how to heal that part of me which has such a need to lash out.  

I was doing some soul-searching, as it seems like the pendulum has been swinging back the other way after so much progress in self-improvement, manifestation of my dreams, happiness, and fulfillment.  Remember when I was saying it felt like everything was going wrong now, and I don't know why?  Well, oddly enough, it seems like the catalyst was the sweat.  It doesn't make sense, does it?  During the ceremony, I symbolically released negativity, fear, and lack of self-confidence.  I empowered my mother aspect and my determination to keep moving forward.  So why is it that it seems the opposite of my desires has manifested?  

I can only guess that these are the trials I must endure in order to strengthen the qualities I want to empower.  I can't just say, "I release negativity".  I need to be exposed to situations which create negativity and, in the moment, find ways previously undiscovered to rise above or transmute it.  I need to have the opportunity to devise new approaches to battling the things I have yet to overcome.  So, I'll thank life for being a teacher and be grateful for the experiences which allow me to learn and grow.  I'll never give up.  I'm writing my story, page by page.  The choices I make today are the future I consciously create, so I'll keep on keepin' on.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment